All of us–bicyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists and motorists–share the roadways every day. We need to remind ourselves that we also share responsibility in keeping our streets safe. And part of that responsibility includes making an effort to report suspicious drunk drivers who put ourselves and others at considerable risk of harm.
Here are the common signs of drunk driving (from Mothers Against Drunk Driving):
• Stopping without cause, or erratic braking
• Drifting in and out of traffic lanes
• Signaling that is inconsistent with driving actions
• Slow response to traffic signals
• Straddling the center lane marker
• Driving slower than 10 mph below the speed limit
If you see a driver exhibiting these signs, your safety may be at serious risk. Drive defensively. Try to increase your distance from the drunk driver as much as possible. Don’t try to pass the vehicle. If you can safely do so, note the color, make, model and license plate of the vehicle.
Drunk Busters is a resource in New Mexico which allows drivers to quickly and effectively report suspected DWI drivers through the use of a toll-free number and cell phone convenience key.
You may call:
877-394-4258 (877 DWI HALT)
#394 / #DWI
When calling the Drunk Busters Hotline, an operator will ask you for the following information:
• The exact location of the suspected drunk driver
• The color, make, model and license plate of the vehicle
• What exactly the vehicle is doing
• Your name and telephone number. All calls may remain anonymous.
Of course, Drunk Busters requests that you use common sense before calling, since it’s a line for suspected drunk drivers and not intended for reporting other traffic violations.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, be sure to contact me today for a free consultation!