Summer heat and holidays mean Summer pool parties. And that should mean pool safety as well. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has compiled some rather alarming statistics from the past couple of years.
During the week of July 4th 2011, there were 24 drowning incidents involving children under the age of 15.
During that same week in 2010, there were 24 drowning incidents.
The same age group was involved in an estimated 390 pool or spa-related drownings during the year.
Another 5,200 of the same group visited emergency rooms for near-drowning injuries. It’s unclear how many could have suffered brain damage.
Pool Safety Tips
• Don’t leave children unattended in a pool.
• Instruct children about basic water safety.
• Keep a safety flotation device within reach.
• Keep a phone within reach.
• Learn CPR on children and adults.
• Have your pool inspected by a licensed, qualified individual. Ask about any potential hazards.
Please visit the CPSC’s Pool Safely website, PoolSafely.gov, a national public education effort to reduce child drownings.
If you or a loved one has been injured through the negligence of a pool owner, contact the Atkinson Law Firm today for a free case evaluation.